A stop light is not a green light for texting, checking emails or for making calls.

Thursday, November 09, 2023

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What are your office hours?

The Butler County Prosecutor’s Office is open from 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, except legal holidays.

Where do I report for Grand Jury?

The Grand Jury is held on the 5th floor of the Government Services Building, 315 High Street, Hamilton, Ohio 45013.

How do I get a protection order?
Common Pleas Domestic Relations Division (2nd Floor)-513-887-3100, Option #1
    • Domestic Violence Civil Protection Orders
    • Dating Violence Civil Protection Orders

Common Pleas Court General Division (5th Floor)-513-887-5695
    • Stalking Civil Protection Orders
    • Sexually Oriented Offense Protection Orders
How do I find out if a defendant is in jail?

Ohio VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday) system links county sheriffs, county prosecuting attorneys, and state correctional facilities to create a comprehensive victim notification system. The Ohio system is part of a nationwide VINE program. A website or toll free hotline will provide information 24 hours a day, 365 days per year.

For inmate information, go to VINE or call 1-800-770-0192.

Be prepared to provide the offender’s name or inmate number. To obtain an inmate number of a defendant in prison, go to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction and enter the defendant’s name under “Offender Search.”

When an inmate has a change in status, the call center will automatically begin to call all registered victims. Notification calls continue every half-hour for 24 hours or until the victim enters a Personal Identification Number (or PIN) to indicate a successful notification.

VINE will leave a message on an answering machine, but will continue to call every two hours until the 24-hour period is over.

You can also go to the Butler County Sheriff’s website for inmate information at Miami Valley Jail

How do I drop charges as the Victim in a criminal case?

The parties to a criminal case are the defendant and the State of Ohio as a whole. The victim is not a party. Therefore, the victim in a criminal case has no authority or standing to drop charges. Victims are strongly encouraged to discuss their concerns and desires with the assistant prosecuting attorney handling the case. While victims are not parties to the case, they are important and their point of view will be heard at the Grand Jury Hearing. Therefore, if you are subpoenaed, you must attend. The Victim Services Division of the Butler County Prosecutor’s Office is also a valuable resource for victims to express themselves to the office.

If I am a victim of a crime or delinquent act, who should I contact first?
Call 911.
Who do I speak with about restitution owed to me due to being a victim of a crime?

While a case is pending, it is important to get this information to the Assistant Prosecutor and Victim Advocate assigned to your case as soon as possible, preferably when you come to the Grand Jury Hearing. Appropriate documentation is essential to help substantiate your losses. Restitution cannot be ordered unless it is known to an assistant prosecuting attorney.

If restitution has been ordered through the courts, all payments are processed through the Butler County Adult Probation Department. You may contact them at 513-887-3400.

I received a subpoena to appear in court, what should I do?

A subpoena is a court order commanding you to appear at the time and date specified in the subpoena. A subpoena cannot be ignored or avoided. Upon receipt of the subpoena, you should immediately contact the issuing party and discuss your testimony and any issues you have in appearing. Unless relieved of your duty, you must appear.